Written by Andrew Waugh
You can download the PDF of this resource here.
Leading Homegroup Prayer - a Checklist
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF PRAYER IN HOME GROUPS?
- It brings us closer together
- It releases God's power
- It brings us closer to God
- Dutch Sheets says in Intercessory Prayer: It's at least arguable that God doesn't do anything apart from us
WHAT ABOUT FORMAT FOR PRAYER IN SMALL GROUPS?
- All together? (Then restrict the length of individual contributions by asking everyone clearly to make it only one sentence long?)
- In pairs or triplets? With the same personnel each week if possible; and with a notebook to record answers to prayer
- Everyone simultaneously? Can be exciting, or intimidating for some...
- Silence can be helpful if it's positive and prepared for. Sometimes intimacy with God means `come and rest awhile', and we need to be able to lead people into that
- Start (`Lord, we know you're here') and end (`Thank you for hearing us/keep us watchful for the answers') positively
- Give a clear `Amen' during prayer
- Keep an eye on the time
- Give clear instructions
- Remind of confidentiality regarding what is shared
- Model vulnerability and dependence. (E.g., that you too have difficulties - though without it turning into a therapy session; to imply `I have no problems' is to act as if we're independent of God)
- Maintain balance: of content (personal, local, church, world...); sense of mission as against self-oriented needs; right view of God; no one person to dominate
Shirley Lees says God has five answers to prayer: `Yes', `No', `Wait', `I will if you will', `Mind your own business!'
David Hein says: `Every prayer is answered', ie pray expectantly but not necessarily expecting to get what we want. (NB the implications of that for keeping a prayer journal in the group)
- Making a pile of pebbles with each person contributing, to remember what God has done for us (compare Joshua 4)
- Prayer journey: going round your home with Christ - or walking down our town’s main street with Christ
- Prayer walk around your area (`virtual' or actual)
- Use of images, printed or on a laptop
- When praying for Alpha, assemble `props' to focus group's minds on how the evening goes
THE HOLY SPIRIT
We're in God's presence, so listen - intuitions we receive here are probably worth listening to!
NOTES EDITED BY PETE LOWMAN; INPUT PRIMARILY FROM ANDREW WAUGH.